Do I need a visa to enter Australia?

Yes. Although most New Zealand citizens receive a visa on arrival, citizens of other countries need to apply for either a temporary or permanent residency visa. Please see our list of potential visas that you could apply for.

How long will it take me to obtain a visa?

This will very much depend upon the type of visa you are applying for. Temporary visas such as Tourist visas can in some cases be applied for online and granted in days. Others may take several weeks. Temporary residence company sponsored visas may take 4 to 8 weeks whilst permanent residency applications can vary greatly in processing times – anything from 3 or 4 months for a Spouse visa to 9 to 36 months for Skilled visas depending upon your occupation.

How much will my visa cost me?

Again this can vary greatly. Some Tourist visa can cost around $100 in Immigration Department (DIAC) fees, whilst some permanent residency applications will have DIAC fees of at least $2575.

Will my family be able to be included in my application?

In most cases your partner and dependent children will be able to be included in your application at no extra cost in DIAC fees. Other family members (such as siblings and parents) will normally need to apply for their own visas. Please see our link for potential visa classes.

How will I know if I am eligible for a visa?

Please see our Australian Visas page with the main criteria for selected visa classes. You may also want to read the information contained in the website of the Australian Immigration Department. But please note that DIAC staff members, due to legal constraints and heavy case loads are not in a position to offer you legal advice on your migration prospects. You may be best advised to consult a qualified and registered migration agent for this.

What other requirements are there before I can be granted a visa?

You will need to undergo medical checks for most visa classes. For permanent residency these consist of chest x-rays for adults and a subsequent medical examination. You will also need to supply police clearances for all adult family members.

What if I English is not my first language?

Permanent migrants to Australia will normally need to prove that they have at least a ‘vocational’ level of English. This is normally demonstrated by sitting an English language test under the IELTS system. Temporary visas do not usually require evidence of English language ability but 457 company sponsored visas criteria now require that certain tradesmen demonstrate that they have ‘vocational’ English.

How do I become an Australian citizen?

You can apply for citizenship once you have lived in Australia for at least 4 years immediately before you apply. I can assist with this process.

Any other questions?

Please contact me with your inquiries.

Do you qualify?

The official immigration selection process can be rigorous, with complex regulations that are constantly changing.

Learn More

Where to Start?

Read our brief overview of the Australian migration system and complete our short online questionnaire.

Learn More

initial consult

There is no charge for our services until we have fully canvassed your options with you.

Learn More